Question : Hosting WCF Service on IIS - Windows7

I created a WCF Service Library in Visual Studio 2008. I would like to host this service on one of the computers on my home network and be able to access it from other computers on the home network.

I published the WCF service Library and saved the files to disc.

The host computer runs Windows 7. Following instructions for adding a Website in the IIS Help, in IIS manager, I added an application to the default website. I put the services name in as the "alias". In the "Physical Path" I put the path to the file I saved the published WCF Service Library project.

I saved the application and right clicked it in the "connections" window of ISS Manager, selected Manage Application, then selected Browse. It appeared to work fine. It brought up a website with the following text:

localhost - /FDPCacheSyncService/

Below this is a list of the files in the WCF Service Library.

FDPCacheSyncService is the name of the WCF Service I created.

The WCF Service appears to be working on the host computer. When I try to access it from other computers on the home network, by typing in the following URL into Internet Explorer

"http://192.168.0.193:8080/FDPCacheSyncService/"

192.168.0.193 is the IP address for the host computer.

Internet Explorer gave me the following error message:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

Based on what I did, should I be able to access this web service from other computers on my home network? Do i need to do something differently to make this service avaialable to other computers?

I know nothing about IIS, but need to get this service running to support a project i am working on. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Answer : Hosting WCF Service on IIS - Windows7

Ok ignore my last post.  According to your screenshot, you should be able to access the website using this URL:

http://192.168.0.193/FDPCacheSyncService/

Which uses port 80.

Are you 100% sure 192.168.0.193 is the ip address of the host?  Have a look at the properties of the website.  You should be able to see which ip address it is listening on, or it may say 'All Unnasigned'.  This would also need to be setup as your default website, if its not the only one.

Otherwise check your router - you may need to open up port 80 to allow wireless clients through.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us