Question : Can't start SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS)

Just installed Visual Basic 2008 Express and SQL Server 2008 Express. I was able to get SQL Server Management Studio installed, and can create and query databases OK.

However, I can't start SQL Server Agent, even if Start Mode is set to Manual or Automatic.
State=Stopped
Start Mode = Automatic
Log On As = NT AUTHORITY\Network Service (Funny that Network Service is not all caps)
If you try to strat it manually, dialog box says "The request failed or the service did not respond  in a timely fashion.".
The Applications Event Log shows Error ID 103
"SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Error creating a new session)"

In VB.net 2008, I cannot add a new SQLEXPRESS database to any project. Messsage says "You don't have permission to open this file".  I wonder if this is related to the Agent not running?

I'm much better at .NET programmer than database administration. Could you some SQEXPRESS help please.

Answer : Can't start SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS)

This is the expected behaviour in SQL Server Express edition. The SQL Server Agent service will be in disabled state and if you try to start it, it will throw the error. Kindly check the below link confirming the same

http://jmkehayias.blogspot.com/2009/01/sql-server-2008-express-sql-agent-won.html

You need to get a new version to get the agent working or you need to use sqlcmd.

Hope this clarifies.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us