Question : Add or Remove Programs Empty

The machine is WinXP SP3 that recently recovered from a BSOD problem by restoring Windows from the OEM (Dell) disc, then upgrading to SP3.  It seemed OK until after upgrading to IE v8.  Now, the Add/Remove list is empty and the wireless card stopped detecting any wireless signal, even though hardware manager says it is working.  If I go into Safe Mode, the add/remove list populates itself.  Removal is not an option for IE8.  The Restore function shows no prior restore points.  I have run chkdsk a couple of times without benefit.  I followed the directions from MS (Article 266668) "Add/Remove Programs tool displays installed programs incorrectly", which was recommended in the knowledge base to no avail.  I might say that troubles seemed to start when using Outlook 2002.  That has been removed and reinstalled, but without benefit to the above problem.  Some of the online solutions do not apply to WinXp so were not tried, but one of these pointed to IE6 in an earlier version of Windows.  I also tried running SFC /scannow, but, interestingly, it gets to a point that asks for the SP3 disc and then it does not recognize the disc.  I have reinstalled SP3, but the above problem remains.

Answer : Add or Remove Programs Empty

Oh yes it does take a little bit of time.  Glad its working for you now.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us