Question : McDonalds WiFi HotSpot - problem connecting

I use a HTC Touch HD mobile phone.

Until recently, I was able to get onto the Web whilst at the local McDonalds.

I can connect using WiFi and it gives me an IP address, but when I try to open a web page or my phone tries to remotely ActiveSync with my Exchange Server, a window comes up with the following message:

Status: The service is initializing, please try again later.

(There is a box above the message, which I think once had a McDonalds Terms & Conditions agreement, but the box is now blank).

I get the same screen using either Internet Explorer or Opera.

I have tried refreshing the site page and removing any old cookies, but without success.

When I am out of range of the McDonalds WiFi, I can connect to the internet and ActiveSync fine using the mobile phone service (Telstra). It also works fine when connected via WiFi at my home network.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help?

My guess is that there should be a Terms and Conditions box to tick so that I will be allowed Web access, but it does not appear on the screen.

Answer : McDonalds WiFi HotSpot - problem connecting

SOLUTION

I disabled DATA CONNECTION in the Comm Manager. It is directly below Microsoft Direct Push in the list. Thanks profgeek for pointing me in the right direction.

Everything then worked. Internet browser showed the McDonald's Terms & Conditions, which I accepted and it let me access the Web. ActivSync started working then too.

I tried this on 2 separate visits to McDonald's (love their McCafe coffee), and both times it worked great.

Thanks.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us