Question : Cannot open .xls file attachments in Outlook

I have a user who gets 2-3 .xls attachments in an e-mail a day and she is unable to open any of them, it gives her the following error: Cannot create file: Offspec.xls. right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check permissions for the folder.  She can forward the e-mail to me and I can view it no problem, and if I save the file to my computer, open it with excel, then save it and rename the file offspec.xlsx then attach it to an e-mail and send it to her she can view it.  How and what do I need to correct so that she's able to open the .xls attachment?  I have also checked folder options and made sure the proper program was selected to open the file with and it is set to 97-2003 Worksheet.

Thanks

mwtn35

Answer : Cannot open .xls file attachments in Outlook

Hi,
I have had this exact same problem with a report I get regularly, here's how I've got things working again.

Click Start > Run and enter regedit into the run box
Follow the thread:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > (Choose the ACTIVE version of Office, see Key for versions) > Outlook > Security.
In the Security folder look for the entry OutlookSecureTempFolder this is the path to the files you need to find and delete or move.
Open a window, and type the path information into the address bar OR double click the OutlookSecureTempFolder entry and ctl+c to copy the path from the open form.
n.b. do not try to open the path via folders, as most are hidden.
Once the folder is open, find the offending files and delete/move.
Office Versions Key:
Version 8 = Office 97
Version 9 = Office 2000
Version 10 = Office 2002 (aka XP)
Version 11 = Office 2003
Version 12 = Office 2007

I can't emphasize enough that you must look in the office version that's active on your machine.

hope it helps.
Dave
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us