Question : Cisco ASA 5510 ASDM - Allowing PING AND TRACECERT through

Hi

I have a new Cisco ASA Firewall that was configured by someone else.

To test a slow link I need to be able to allow PINGS and Traceroute through the firewall.

I have created numerous access rules and SET icmp to PERMIT any any for inside and outside but still no joy.

Could someone please advise how I would do this, possibly through the ASDM console?

Thanks a mil

Answer : Cisco ASA 5510 ASDM - Allowing PING AND TRACECERT through

Cisco Firewalls and PING
(Note: Tracert uses Ping technology and protocols and the firewall treats ping and tracert the same*)

PIX Version 7 and above
Version 7 introduced an ICMP inspection engine so that it could track ICMP requests like other protocols. Its NOT turned on by default. And the command is inspect icmp but you need to enter the default map first, use the following commands from config terminal mode.

Policy-map global_policy
class inspection_default
inspect icmp

How to STOP interfaces responding to Ping packets

As already stated you can ping an interface on a Cisco firewall if you are directly connected to it, you can turn this OFF using the ICMP command, a lot of people like to disable pinging on the outside interface, in an effort to lessen the risk of a denial of service attack to this the syntax is as follows,
icmp deny any echo outside
*Note this does not apply to INBOUND tracerts these will NOT work without a (fixup protocol icmp) command. In version 7 tracert will not work unless the inspect icmp command has been issued

To Ping the Firewalls Inside interface from a remote VPN session (IKE or SSL) you need to add the following command
management-access inside

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us