Question : How do I set up a System Centre Configuration Manager Console?

Hi,

I already have a working SCCM console installed on a server. I have installed the Administrator Console onto a Windows XP machine.  However, when I tried launching the console from the XP machine, I'm getting this message:

The ConfigMgr console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify that this computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer and that your user account has Remote Activation permissions on both the ConfigMgr site server and SMS Provider computers. For more information, see "How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console Connections" in ConfigMgr Help.

I have also installed the Administrator console onto another XP machine and it just hangs while connecting to the Site Database.

Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Answer : How do I set up a System Centre Configuration Manager Console?

1) Ensure the user is a member of the SMS admins group on the SCCM server

2) Use the DCOM tool to add remote launch permissions to that group - straight out of the help file:

To grant Remote Activation permissions to the SMS Admins group
From the Start menu, click Run and type Dcomcnfg.exe.
In Component Services, click Console root, expand Component Services, expand Computers, and then click My Computer. On the Action menu, click Properties.
In the My Computer Properties dialog box, on the COM Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions section, click Edit Limits.
In the Launch Permissions dialog box, click Add.
In the Select User, Computers, or Groups dialog box, in the Enter the object names to select (examples): box, type SMS Admins and click OK.
In the Permissions for SMS Admins section, select the check box to allow Remote Activation.
Click OK twice, and then close Computer Management.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us