Question : How do you restore a smaller partition image of Windows XP onto a larger disk and still have Windows XP boot up recognizing the larger disk size?

I had a user whose disk drive crashed.. for a while wouldn't be read by any computer or OS until it warmed up for about 2 hours.. then boom, started reading...was able to get a disk image made.

I used DDrescue on that bad 20gb drive, saving an image of it on my ubuntu install.  I used ddrescue to restore the image onto a new 40gb drive, now when i boot up windows xp pro, its recognizing my pre-NTFS formated partition as a 20 gb partition, when it should be 40.  Strangely enough, if i browse in Disk Management within Windows, the disk size says its 40gb large, but the partition is only defined as 20gb.  I even tried changing it to a dynamic volume, but no luck.. the partition is taking up the whole volume but its only saying theres 20 gb in the C:\ partition line. And next to Disk 0 it says 40gb.

I looked at the disk in gparted and it says its NTFS formated at 40gb.  Any ideas how to make Windows see the disk for its true size? I tried getting a windows boot cd, and running fixmbr and fixboot and still the same thing.  I'm hoping there is a command in the recovery console i could use and make this a quick fix.

Sorry just realized the time, I won't be able to respond to any posts until Tuesday.

Answer : How do you restore a smaller partition image of Windows XP onto a larger disk and still have Windows XP boot up recognizing the larger disk size?

Follow this screenshot-

Ravi.

Edit your registry
Edit your registry

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us