Question : Server 2008 Workgroup question

Hello Experts,

I'm upgrading our Windows 2003R2 Enterprise server to a Windows 2008 Standard. We're just using simple Workgroup set-up, mainly for heavy File Sharing.

I need help with a few things:

1. Is there's an easy way to transfer all Users, Groups, Shared Folders onto a new Server 2008 install? I'm planning to do a clean install, not an upgrade.

2. On 2008 server, how do i create 'Network Users" for people to access Shared Folders? (to log-in from other workstations using username/password).  Before, on Server 2003, i simply went to Manage > "Local Users and Groups" > "Add User" and it worked pretty well, however, now I'm guessing that it might of been the wrong way to do it since the title of that menu says "Local Users", and not "Network Users...".

Is "Local Users and Groups" can be also used to add "File Sharing Users" that will access data over network?

3. Does WIndows 2008 Standard has any "File Sharing" limitations? (e.g. how many clients can connect to it at once, max number of users...)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Answer : Server 2008 Workgroup question

1) No, not if you aren't doing an upgrade.

2) Not sure what you mean by "Network Users"? If you have "USERA" that is using "CLIENTA" to access shared files on "SERVERA" you are also going to create local user named "USERA" on the file server with the same password so the authentication will pass through.

3) There shouldn't be any limits.

I am also curious as to why you aren't using a domain environemnt? They are easy to set up and would make file sharing / permissions much easier to manage.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us