Question : How do I configure my DHCP server correctly in this network?

Hi all,

I have a strange problem.
I have installed a new DHCP server in windows server 2008 but the clients are not receiving any addresses.

Possible strange points:
The server has only 1 NIC and this is configured with 2 IP addresses
Their network uses a switch that routes all of their traffic between several subnets.
They have a broadband router with DHCP configured that clients can receive IP addresses from.

I thought it was a network issue so I did the following:
stopped the DHCP service on the server and plugged the broadband router into the same switch that the DHCP server is plugged into.
Then I plugged my laptop into the same switch and I was able to get an IP through the DHCP of the broadband router.

However when I deactivate the DHCP in the router and start the DHCP server service on the windows 2008 server I cannot get an IP from the server.
So the problem is the windows server.

The DHCP role installed perfectly when I added it and there are no errors in the logs.

Can this be an error with the fact that there are 2 IP addresses configured for the NIC?
When I look at the binding for the server I can only see 1 IP listed.

During the installation I remember it asked me which IP to bind to but it only gave me 1 IP in the list and this IP was different from the IP I can see listed as being bound.

Can I get this configuration to work (DHCP on a server with 2 IPs on the same NIC) by changing the binding somehow?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Tomorrow I will be attempting to completely reinstall DHCP on this server again.

Cheers

Answer : How do I configure my DHCP server correctly in this network?

exactly my thoughts the DHCP server and the clients trying to get the IP are not on the same subnet,

so yea you need to configure your router with ip helper address the IP of your DHCP server and it will work
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us