Question : windows is corrupted and I can't get my computer to boot from the cd-rom

I have a Toshiba M35x-S309.

32-bit single-core intel processor running @ 1.2GHz
1.5gb of ram
60gb harddrive (0 partitions)
ATI mobile graphics
CD-RW / DVD reader
Windows XP Home Edition SP3

My situation:

It loads windows fine until it asks me for my username and password, which is inturrupted by a dialog box that says:

-----------------------------------

The system is shutting down.  Please save all work in progress and and log off.  Any unsaved changes will be lost.  This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

[timer goes here]

The system process 'C;\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE' terminated unexpectedly with status code -1073741482.  The system will now shut down and restart

-----------------------------------

I can enter my login and passowrd and the computer begins to process it, but doesn't do anything until the timer reaches zero.  Once the timer to reaches zero, the dialog box clears, and I am able to enter my login name and password.  At this point, the computer sits for awhile, then finally loads my personalized background...and then that's it.  I can move my mouse, but I don't get a start bar, or desktop icons.  CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't bring up the stereotypical windows administrative-type dialog box like it should (which means that running "task manager" and bringing up the cammond prompt or "run" is out of the question).

Now I've tried making an MS-DOS boot cd-rom using another computer that has windows xp home edition (so I can just use FDISK to format the hard drive and then install UBUNTU from cd), and my toshiba laptop acts like it's not seeing the boot cd-rom.

I've double-checked my BIOS to verify its checking the cd-rom for media, and it should be.

I don't have a floppy drive (internal or otherwise), so that is not an option.

I would really like to know why it's ignoring the MS-DOS boot CD-R.

Also what else is going on with windows based on the symptoms I'm getting.

I have no problem reformatting, but since it won't recognize the MS-DOS boot CD-R that I made, I'm out of solutions.  Please help me!

Answer : windows is corrupted and I can't get my computer to boot from the cd-rom

maybe you have a bad cd, or cd drive; you can test if you can boot from the cd on another PC
if it is ok, and the bios is set to boot from cd, then your drive is likely bad
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us