Question : VFP Detail 1 band is too large for page

Back to an old question. What seems to be the best workaround for the DETAIL BAND TOO LARGE error is changing the paper size to fool the printer. However, this has implications when the printer is used by other applications.

Is copying a printer and changing the paper size on the new printer a workable idea?

If so, how do you copy a printer? CTRL-C doesn't work.

Another option is to ADD a printer, but this is for a distributed APP, and is just too time consuming. I often have to work with users who are not very computer literate.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Answer : VFP Detail 1 band is too large for page

Michael,

you should be able to simply add a printer llike a new one via Windows printer installation assistant/wizard. Even if it is already installed you then have two seperate entries in printers that can have different printer settings and of course a different name. Then setup the "second" printer with the needed configuration and use that as the printer for your FoxPro report.

This will work much cleaner than embedding printer options in the frx, but that is a second option of course:
modify the report. Menu: Report->Properties -> Report Properties Dialog: Page Layout Tab: Check Save printer environment (do this at the site, where you can setup the frx to the concrete printer). This will then bind the report to the printer you setup, I'm not sure if vfp will offer you to store a paper size, especially a fake one, and I'm not sure if REPORT FORM will set this printer configuration and reset it after printing. Therefore as said above, the second printer installation under a different printer name is the cleaner solution and will not affect other apps using the same printer.

Bye, Olaf.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us