Question : Error-handling if SQLCMD fails in .bat Windows script

Hi guys,
I am currently on WinXP SP2 against SQLEXPRESS 2008.  I have a script that executes a SQL 2008 stored proc that BULK INSERTS a list of fixed-format files from my C: drive into a table.  After each file has been BULK INSERTed into a table, the script also moves the file to a \Processed folder and renames the file by appending the date & time to the filename.

The problem I am having is figuring out how to grab errors from the SQLCMD statement that runs the stored proc.  I want to not perform the copy/rename for a file if that file BULK INSERT fails (i.e. there are primary key violations).  I have tried setting SQLCMD -b -V 1, but ERRORLEVEL stays at 0 even when the stored proc returns primary key violations from the BULK INSERT.

Here is the code I have so far:

::@ECHO OFF

:: Set date/time variables to build and append to the renamed filename
SET DAY=%DATE:~4,2%
SET MTH=%DATE:~7,2%
SET YR=%DATE:~10,4%
SET HR=%TIME:~0,2%
SET HRO=%TIME:~0,1%
IF "%HRO%"==" " SET HR=0%%TIME:~1,1%
SET MIN=%TIME:~3,2%
SET SEC=%TIME:~6,2%
SET STRDATE=%YR%%MTH%%DAY%-%HR%%MIN%%SEC%

::SET ERRORLEVEL=0

:: Set file directories
SET DIRDATA=C:\FIXEDFILEUPLOAD\Data\
SET DIRHIST=C:\FIXEDFILEUPLOAD\Data\Processed\

:: Loop through all .txt files and execute sproc to upload flat file into SQL table
cd %DIRDATA%
for %%i in (*.txt) do sqlcmd -Q "exec dbo.nkn_LoadDataSP '%DIRDATA%%%i'" -U user -P password -S MACHINE\SQLEXPRESS -d DB_TEST & move %DIRDATA%%%i %DIRHIST%  & ren %DIRHIST%%%i %%i.%STRDATE%

I know this is probably easy, but I've been having a tough time on this.

Thanks in advance,

Gome

Answer : Error-handling if SQLCMD fails in .bat Windows script

We could also match with "Msg:" instead of error keywords. That would capture any error and warning message, but not reveal the error message (which is reported in the line following that "header").
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us