Question : IIS7 and DNS on Server 2008

I am using a Windows 2008 Standard Server.  Currently, I have setup a site in IIS7.  I want to add a sub-domain to the site, but am having an issue.

IIS:
juliantech.com  This site resolved to 192.168.2.105, has bindings for juliantech.com and www.juliantech.com.

I have setup another site, evan.juliantech.com  it resolves to the same address. also on port 80.  In that folder, i have setup a simple index.html file for testing.

DNS:

forward lookup:

juliantech.com

(same as parent folder) Host (a) 192.168.2.105
www Alias (CNAME) juliantech.com.
evan Alias (CNAME) juliantech.com.

The sites work on the server, and juliantech.com  and www.juliantech.com works everywhere.  But evan.juliantech.com does not work outside my network.  I have tried other DNS settings of:
 evan Alias (CNAME) evan.juliantech.com.

But they failed as well.  i just want to be able to make several sub-sites for our family, and they all be hosted on the same server.

Answer : IIS7 and DNS on Server 2008

I assume that each site you have defined in IIS has the appropriate host header value assigned for it; thus the "evan" site would have a host header of "evan.juliantech.com".

Externally, I am able to resolve juliantech.com to 98.223.213.152, which I would assume is the IP address where your IIS Server is sitting. However, there does not appear to be an external record created for evan.juliantech.com, which would explain why it does not work externally. You MUST have a record in the public DNS namespace for the evan subdomain, remembering that placing it in your internal Server 2008 DNS is not an option. The internal DNS on your Server 2008 is not hosting the public DNS for the site, and thus records created there are not available externally (and vice-versa).

-tigermatt
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us