Question : Offline files  Synchronization

I am getting this popup after logging off/on a windows xp machine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error Message Popup
Offline Files (\\Raid\homedirs$ on raid): Unable to make [email protected] available on \\raid\homedirs$\Jscalf\My
Documents \RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-44343434343434343 files of this type cannot be made available offline.

1.  Windows 2003 Domain- I want Offline synchronization on the My Documents folder ENABLE on Logoff/On
2. XP Pro PC's
3. We do keep *.pst in the My Documents folder.  Even when i remove the pst file i still get error above.
This is happening to more & more of our pc's
Is there some corruption happening with offline folders?
I am not sure why this is all of sudden doing this.

Thanks

Answer : Offline files  Synchronization

Are all of these pcs laptops? If not then you should enable folder redirection via group policy. That would enable all of the users my docs to be redirected to a network location which looks like a RAID in your example. This would also be a more efficient way to store your users files as with offline files it talke and enormous amount of time for a user to log on or off using this option. This would also be a secure way to make sure all users files are available and restorable. Now if these are laptops then I would see why you would want to use offline files. Unfortunatly Microsoft does not allow certain file types to be syncronized via offline files, PSTs being one of them. However you can manually add these files to be included in the cache. See the snipet below

You can manually pin files and folders that are configured for automatic caching.

By default, the following file types are not cached:

*.slm; *.mdb; *.ldb; *.mdw; *.mde; *.pst; *.db?

You can override the default settings by using the Files not cached Group Policy setting. Any file types that you specify in the Group Policy setting override the default settings. For example, if you specify that only .txt files cannot be cached, all other file types are available for caching.

The default cache size for automatically cached offline files is 10 percent of the total disk space of the hard disk. You can change the default by specifying a value between 0 and 100 percent on the Offline Files tab of the Folder Options dialog box. This setting does not affect the cache for files that are manually cached by the user or for files pinned by the administrator by using the Group Policy setting Computer Configuration\ or User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files\ Administratively assigned offline files. You can store up to 2 gigabytes (GB) of automatically cached files per computer if that much space is available; for manually cached files, you are limited only by the amount of available disk space on the drive containing the cache.

here is the link that I got this information from, and it is a good overall article on Offline files

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457104.aspx

Hope this helps.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us