Question : Formatting a 60gb hard drive fails in Disk Management

This 2.5" portable 60gb HD is connected by USB 2.0.

The first time I plugged in the drive, Windows 2000 put a signature on the drive.  This is normal and it completed within a few seconds.

I clicked on Disk Management, located the new drive, right clicked and selected create partition.  I selected format as FAT32 with a 59gb partition and after a few minutes, the first error appeared as, "Logical Disk Manager - An internal error has occurred.  The Logical Disk Manager server may have become unstable.  Please close the Disk......"

After this error, I rebooted and proceeded to try again, this time with a NTFS partition and a quick format.  The next error to display (after about 2 minutes) was "Logical Disk Manager - The format failed to complete successfully."

Then I decided that this may be the 32gb partition limit that I recall with Windows 2000 from about two years ago.  The next step was to remove the partition entirely and start over.  No dice!  The next error was, "Logical Disk Manager - The server threw an exception."  Repeated the process and the next error was, "L.... - the request timed out and could not be completed."

Any thoughts?

My next step is to take this drive to a Windows 98 computer and clean it up.

Thank you!

Answer : Formatting a 60gb hard drive fails in Disk Management

Why not using Partition MAgic, it works better than the format utility in W2K. (www.powerquest.com)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us