Question : WSS 3.0 Documents in Sharepoint

I have a problem.  I currently have WSS 3.0 installed on Server 2008.  I have a very large amount of shared documents, on the order of 20,000.  In various folders.  I need to know if there is a way that I can share a folder in the shared documents and everything in that folder to specific users.  Basically a client logs in to the sharepoint site and after login they are sent to their document folder.  Now comes the monkey wrench.  I need to keep the documents all under the main shared documents, this is because we edit the documents by linking in through windows explorer, basically making a shared network drive.  This need for a shared drive is rock solid and cannot be changed.  I am however willing to go so far as to sync a copy of the documents if I have to, not what I would call a great solution.  The client that logs in would be able to view the document but not be able to change it right now.  I suppose I need to make sure that they can edit for future use.

I am a beginner in WSS, I know enough to get the site up and available, so please don't get frustrated if I ask an obvious question.  

Answer : WSS 3.0 Documents in Sharepoint

SharePoint has the ability to grant access at a folder level (or item), so I think you are in luck. The other cool thing about SharePoint is that it does security trimming. If the user/client doesn't have access to any other folders they won't even see it, so you should be able to provide a link directly to the document library.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us