Question : Copy NTFS permissions to sharepoint

Hi

I have a shared drive  and would like to copy the files and folders in that share to sharepoint and would like to keep the permissions of that folders eg groups that have access etc.

First of all is this possible? If so how?
If not then why not.

Running Sharepoint 2007 on Windows 2003 SP2 . Let me know if you need more information.
I've searched the net and haven't found anything feasible yet. Hope you guys can assist.

Thanks
Eugene

Answer : Copy NTFS permissions to sharepoint

sharepoint looks at permissions a little differant.  what you can do is copy all the files into a document library using sharepoint explorer veiw.  that would be the quickest.  you will then have to create permissions for the doc lib that match up with the permissions you have in your folders.  

The first thing you would want to do is go into the documentlibrary, settings and document library settings, pemissions for this doc lib.  then under actions, select edit permissions, tell it ok and now you have control over the groups and users in that doc library.  you can continue to break down permisssions, on folders as well as documents.  

that would be configured back in the document library.
so to get back there

click on shared documents or the name of your doc lib to come out of it.  you can now set permissions on the folder or documents by putting your mouse on the folder or document clicking the down arrow and hitting manage permissons.  

you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.  Sharepoint doesnt  use ntfs permissions, it follows its own stucture .

Hope this helps
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us