Question : Server 2008 R2 Memory Leak

I have a new Dell R710 Server, dual quad-core processors with 16Gb physical RAM. It has the inbuilt Broadcom BCM5709C four-port network card running in teamed mode, an Intel dual-port MT network card for running four virtual machines through and another dual-port card connected to an iSCSI subnet to a SAN, running jumbo frames. (I mention this as I found some problems that hinted at jumbo frames but it didn't really match our configuration)

If I start the server up it is consuming 1.86Gb of physical memory with all the VMs shut down. The non-paged memory usage is about 140Mb. If I start VMs I see the expected memory consumption.

However, there is a leak somewhere. After about 24hours the server is completely out of memory and unresponsive. All I can do is reboot. If I leave the VMs off it still leaks but lasts for longer as there is more physical memory to consume. All I can find in the event logs at the time of crashing is an error saying the non-paged pool is exhausted.

If anybody could give me any help I'd really appreciate it as it's becoming a nightmare.....

Answer : Server 2008 R2 Memory Leak

Its very normal, till 10,000 count the process behavior is ok.  Most probably you are talking about Hyper V (VM),  so keep monitor the hyper V process.

Here is a mark blog on non page pool memory, just refer may this help to troubleshoot further
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/03/26/3211216.aspx

Make sure you patched your server and application regularly that would help to replace any flawed dll's

Please copy the event here with event id and source
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us