Question : Microsoft Word normal.dot/global template issue

I have a user that is having a problem every time he closes MS Word 2003 on a WinXP Pro machine.  First, after clicking the exit box in the upper right gets a pop up that says:

"This file is in use by another application or user. (C:\Documents and Settings\..\Normal.dot)

The only option is Show Help or OK.  When you click OK you get a save location window.  Canceling out of that you get the next pop up:

"Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal. Do you want to save those changes?"

This one gives Yes, No, Cancel, or Show Help.

I've search and found some "solutions" relating to a corrupted Normal.dot file, to add-ins, and macro's, prompting to save, etc.  None of those applies or fixed the issue.  I've also tried reinstalling Office.

I've notice that once Word is closed the WINWORD.EXE process still runs.  Killing that process fixes the problem until Word is opened/closed again.

My next step would be to remove office and clear out the registry and reinstall.  I was hoping that someone would have a better solution.

Thanks in advance.

Answer : Microsoft Word normal.dot/global template issue

There are several troubleshooting links here. There may be some that you haven't tried, especially the one about the registry key.

http://www.officearticles.com/word/steps_to_troubleshooting_microsoft_word.htm

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us