Question : Parent / Child Relationship - Viewing and editing - MS Access

I am working on the design of a database enhancement that will incorporate parent/child relationships.  I am looking to have the ability to have an ongoing string of Parent, Child, Grandchild, etc. I have two tables:

PEOPLE:  PersonID, Person
LINK: ParentID, ChildID

I have a query that links the parents to the children.  I've filled in some data below and also attached it as a screen.  As you can see.  Dave is a parent of Amy and Carrie.  Amy is a parent of Dylan and Colin, therefore Dave is a grandparent of Colin.  

One of the main things I am looking for is a way to display the relationships for the user to view.  If this could be done on a form, it would be preferable.  I have attached a screenshot of the "visual view" of the relationships that I would ideally like to see.  I have looked into the "treeview" ActiveX component, but could not get anywhere with that.  

Any assistance or ideas you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Code Snippet:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
Parent  | Child
Dave    | Amy
Dave    | Carrie
Amy     | Dylan
Amy     | Colin

Answer : Parent / Child Relationship - Viewing and editing - MS Access

Since you want to display relationship of your data to your user, treeview control suits this requirement. Please find attached a sample database created using KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209891 which is a simpler method. You will have to change the field names in the table/code. Open the form and expand Fuller by double clicking it. Hope this helps.

Parent-Child_Employee Boss Demo

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us