Question : What would be the ideal budget server configuration for 25 exchange users in one office?

hi,

we are about to upgrade our server (which is currently a simple P4) hardware-wise to accomodate 25 users? The server would be running Exchange and would be a file-server as well.
I'm just simply not sure I can justify "real" server components (Xeon cpu etc).
we are currently using a P4 machine with 3GBs of RAM and running SMB2003 with Exchange off it. it also acts as a file server and obviously it would be the same role later on. We already made our peace to purchase the new SMB (2008 I think) along with the new Exchange.
I know its not a classic problem so to speak but it is a head-scratcher nonetheless. Thank you.

Answer : What would be the ideal budget server configuration for 25 exchange users in one office?

Yes - most low-level servers are just desktop components that have been put together under the auspice of providing low level server functionality.  I think you've highlighted your ideal system - a Quad Core CPU, 8GB RAM and 2 + 2 in RAID 1/5.

You can migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 but that's a different question and there is a lot of help available on Experts Exchange already - take a look with the search feature but please do shout back if you can't find anything and I'll help.

Regards,

Ady
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us