Question : Server 2008 R2 dcpromo fails, says need to run adprep /forestprep

Hello All
I have a new server with Server 2008 R2 Standard installed. My current domain has a SBS 2003 SP2 domain controller running Exchange. I joined the domain with my 2008 server, and logged in as the domain admin. I ran adprep.exe /forestprep and /domainprep and /gpprep on the SBS server with a 32bit 2008 server disc. Now I run dcpromo on the 2008 server, and get the error:

"To install a domain controller into this active directory forest, you must first prepare the forest using adprep /forestprep. The adprep utility is available on the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation media in the support\adprep folder."

Subsequent attempts to re-run the adprep commands on the SBS server give a result stating the forest has already been updated. ("adprep did not attempt to rerun this operation") I have removed the 2008 server from the domain and rejoined it, I have renamed the 2008 server, removed and rejoined the domain again, have disabled Sophos Antivirus realtime scanning on the SBS server, even used a virtual machine Server 2003 Standard and successfully dcpromo-ed that one.

I ran dcdiag on the SBS 2003 server, and it passes all tests except Services, saying ISMserv is not running. Thinking that service was Intel Server Manager and irrelevant, I had been ignoring it. A google search showed me that it was actually InterSite Messaging, so, even though I only have one site, I set the service to automatic and started it. Still no joy on the 2008 dcpromo. I run dcdiag again and see a failure on the systemlog test, a Parvdm event 2 that seems to be referring to the parallel port.. Still not getting any love from dcpromo on the 2008 server.

Any help or further ideas?

Answer : Server 2008 R2 dcpromo fails, says need to run adprep /forestprep

You need the correct version of adprep. Did you use the one from the second CD of server 2003 R2 located under \CMPNENTS\R2\ADPREP\
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us