Question : Access Database Documentation

Hi all

A database in our company is being shipped up to the company that bought us out in a few months.
I've been charged with providing a user guide and data mapping for the database itself.
I know that there is a tool in MS access to allow you to document the tables etc.

I was wondering if anyone has used a tool that will show the flow of data through the database.
Or show what query uses what table etc...

I dont mind paying for it if there is a really good tool.

Thanks
J

Answer : Access Database Documentation

I haven't seen anything other than the tools native to Access that fredthered commented on, other than FMS Total Access Analyzer http://www.fmsinc.com, but I haven't played with that in ten years.

When I did large Access databases at large companies, I was able to import the tables into SQL Server, design it using a Diagram, and print it out on an HP printer-plotter so you can have your entire Acccess database on one (rather large) piece of paper.  I think Access' limitation in printing data diagrams is something like 11"x17".

Also, get a good graphics editor so you can take screen shots, slice-dice and shrink to <30k gif's or jpeg's, so your Help docs don't grow to an unmanageable size.

Hope this helps.
-Jim
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us