Question : SBS 2003 Network Configuration and DCHP

I am new to SBS 2003 standard edition.

The current ASDL line goes to a Linksys router, which is also configured to allow a remote access to a video servallence camera system. All other stations and wireless laptops access the internet via that same router.

New to the mix SBS 2003 Standard. SBS recommends it be the router (DHCP, DNS) for me this presents more headaches than the so called easy server solution that it offers, as I then have to turn off DHCP on the router and put the SBS 2003 server directly in front of the router.... get the picture.

I need to know if I will lose too much by having the router stay where it is doing what it does, and then not have the SBS 2003 as the DHCP etc.... ? When I do that I receive a number of other messages to go through chapter 2 and configure a bunch of other items...

I need the cleanest way. If I leave DHCP on the SBS server, then I also need to to some other tasks, but I notice that the IP range set is from 192.168.16.1 thru....255, but will not allow me to edit it to have it start at 192.168.16.0, which is recommended to actually have things work better.

There are two NIC cards in the server. I am able to get out to the Internet.

The problem is on the LAN getting it to auto assign IP addresses and use a wireless router that has DHCP turned off.

I hope you understand what I am asking about.

I need a simple straight forward... I need a to do list. so gain confidence in the LAN working the way it should with DHCP turned off on the router, and so the configuration in that router is not lost for the security cameras. Not sure how I would set that up on a SBS 2003 server. More familiar with just using the Linksys router.

Thanks in advance for your consideration in this matter.

Answer : SBS 2003 Network Configuration and DCHP

The issue the cameras bring to the table is just the port forwarding.
Normally with this type of set up, port forwarding is enabled on the router to forward traffic on the specified port to the camera or DVR. Very simple to do. However if you use 2 NIC's on the SBS and you do not use ISA, you should have a router between it and the Internet (IMHO). Once you do, you then have to forward traffic from the router to the SBS, on the SBS configure port forwarding to the specified device (not a simple task), and configure the firewall. It also adds some additional traffic on the server. Using a single NIC again makes this very simple. Traffic can then be simply forwarded from the router to the camera/DVR as it would normally be done..

DHCP and DNS are totaly different issues. DNS MUST be handled by the SBS, and DHCP should be handled by the SBS. Doing so does not complicate matters in any way, improves performance, and adds some advantages.

I have attached a sketch of the physical configuration.
If you like we can chat, but keep in mind Experts -Exchange requests that the bulk of the discussions remain here to assist others as to the solutions found.
If you wish to contact me directly use the e-mail address on my profile (click on RobWill). I too am in Canada -East Coast)

Sample network layout
Sample network layout

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us