Question : Windows 7 - hangs @ "Please Wait" during boot

My primary workstation is running Windows 7.  Everything was working reasonably well until yesterday, when I performed a "shutdown and install updates."  Upon trying to boot back up, the system hangs at the "please wait" screen, never affording me the prompt to login.

I can boot to safe mode ok.

I have tried booting in diagnostics mode with no services or startup items - same problem.

I can boot into "directory services restore mode" (I don't even understand what this option means on a workstation but I tried it for giggles) which provides proper video resolution, and applications run, but I have no network access.

I have tried the "Startup Repair" diagnostics in "Repair Your Computer" which tell me that "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully."

I have tried sfc /scannow from the command prompt, which yields a "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

I have tried a restore point to the date BEFORE the shutdown/update.  No change (why is restore point so rarely effective???)

I'm about ready to sped a few hours reloading my OS and many apps.

The real shame is that I had planned to make an image right after the reboot...too late.

Answer : Windows 7 - hangs @ "Please Wait" during boot

Even with NO services enabled (including Microsoft's) I do not get the logon prompt.  When I looked at the installed updates, it said there were none (keep in mind this is in DS Restore mode) which I know is wrong.

I've already reinstalled the OS and Office.  Now to reinstall the other 20 apps, copy my data & bookmarks back over, configure email, etc.

Obviously I will not be able to make continuing efforts to see if anything else resolves the issue, but perhaps this thread should remain for anyone else having this difficulty?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us