Question : Main Disadvantages to using sharepoint and problem areas

Hello,

I am currently complying a report looking in to the main features/ advantages to using Sharepoint services 3.0 and Sharepoint server 2007. To aid in making a decision whether or not Sharepoint is the best application to use.

I have been able to find vast amounts of information about the features of Sharepoint and the advantages to using it. But I am finding it very hard to find any resources/information on the downsides to using Sharepoint or the problems areas found within Sharepoint.

If anyone would be able to give me a overview of some of the problems and disadvantages, it would be a great help. If you require any further information please let me know

Thanks

Steven

Answer : Main Disadvantages to using sharepoint and problem areas

WSS 3.0 (Windows Sharepoint Services) has a much smaller set of features than Sharepoint Portal Server 2007 (or as Microsoft sometimes labels it Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server, MOSS)

MOSS has two editions, Standard and Enterprise.  We use Enterprise.

We did a 3 month analysis of the Sharepoint search engine versus Google Appliances which included a trip to the Google headquarters to tell them we chose Sharepoint!

Overall I couldn't imagine working without it.  There are a number of annoyances, however, we always seem to find a workaround.  The main one is that it doesn't provide direct support for File Shares.  I've been told that will be fixed in the next release.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us