Question : KB923723 Jacked up my computers (i think)

Last Friday security update came through windows update and installed on all of my computers. The update KB923723 is the only one that came through in quite some time so I am pretty sure it is this one. I would remove it but It does not show in the add remove programs list and I think it is one that cannot be removed once installed. Also I cannot get to system restore as that is one of the things this update has messed up.

So here is the info. Everything was working on friday. We leave at noon on friday. My WSUS server shows that this update was synced at 12:30ish. The update server is set to automaticaly install security and critical updates so it pushed it out. Monday the problems showed up.

Problems:

One of the programs we use which is designed for our industry would not work it was giving the error (ActiveX component can't create object). I got the program to work using resolution one from this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319844). The program was running from a terminal server and does use Access so it made sense to me but I couldn't figure out why it needed to be reregistered.

I also notice however that the "Manage my server" window that pops up on the terminal server is not showing up right. the window shows up but there is nothing in it and I get another error that says

"Internet Explorer Script Error"
An error has ocured in the script on this page.
automation server can't create object.
Do you want to continue running the script on this page.

I click yes this is when the blank window pops up that use to be the manage my server window. I get another Internet Explorer Script Error that says.

'xmlStatic' is nul or not an object
it also mentions the mys.hta which is the manage my server HTA.
Then it just shows the empty window.

Monday morning I turned on a tablet PC which had been working fine the previous week. When it came up it said it had an update to install so I let it (this was before we noticed the other errors) It said it needed to reboot so I did and upon reboot I get very similar errors. When the tablet starts up it runs an HTA program that shows you how to use the tablet, get to documentation and common settings for things like the stylus and such. Instead after the reboot I now get Internet Explorer Script errors and a blank HTA window

Also this tablet has one main function which is to in the form om an excel program that uses some macros and activex controls. Data is entered into it via a forms like layout and that data is easily uploaded to a SQL server via a upload button on the form. I don't know to much about it as we did not make the program the company that made the excel spreadsheet program is our accounting software company.

At any rate when the spreadsheet is now run we get the following error.

"Microsoft Visual Basic"
Class not registered.
Looking for object with CLSID:{AC9F2F90-E877-11CE-9F68-00AA00574A4F}

I click OK and then get "Excel found unreadable content in 'spreadsheet.xls'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook". If I click yes I then get "Excell was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content" it then lists the removed content which is (Lost Visual Basic project and Lost ActiveX controls). The spread sheet of course does not work without them. This is excel 2007 by the way.

So it seems to me that this update has really messed some stuff up with ActiveX controls and I really need them fixed somehow. Either by removing this update or any other means. As mentioned before I can't go to system restore if I do the system restore window opens but is blank like the others. It must also be an HTA program. I do not get the Internet Explorer Script Error however.

Also and this is the last problem I have noticed although I am not quite sure if it it is linked or not. Is there is one printer in our network that users can no longer print to. Alll of the printers on a windows server 2003 printserver. When they try and print to this printer they get an error that says "Test Page Failed to print. yada yada yada The specified printer has lost its conection to the server".

So I tried removing the printer and adding it again. The users are power users so they can add printers. But when I try to add the printer I then get this error, "You Do not have sufficient access to you computer to connect to the selected printer". I have verified permissions on the printer and the users do have permissions to the printer.

So I made a user a local administrator on his computer so see if he could add the printer. Sure enough he could add the printer. Another strange note here is that when the user is not an administrator and you want to add the printer by finding one in the directory, you have to set the look in field to the domain name or it won't find any printers. It won't find them if it is set for Entire Directory. This never use to be the case. After making him a local administrator it will find the printers if set to look through the entire directory.

Even though the printer is added successfully the status shows "Access denied, unable to connect" it should show Ready like the others. The user can still print however.

And one last thing in the printers area the Adobe PDF printer on each users computer now shows offline and will have a backup of documents in its queue. The PDF creation goes on as normal so the users don't notice. The printer can be set online and the queue clears out.

The printer that is having a problem is an HP LaserJet 9050 and is used for check printing with special magnetic toner so I need this baby fixed pronto too.

I am not 100% sure that the printer issues happened with the same update because we only print to that printer about once a week on thursdays. That being said it was working fine on thursday before the friday update and no updates were installed for just over a week prior to friday. So while I know it seems unlikely that a patch for Step-by-Step Interactive Training caused all this mess I am pretty damn sure it did, lol.

Anyway thank for reading I know it was an ear full. I have included screen shots of most of the errors here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=280e7e16d2dd85112fb2ca15d7ea42d9f3f0cc7c8ac627c7b8eada0a1ae8665a

Answer : KB923723 Jacked up my computers (i think)

start
run
regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\FM20.dll

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us