Question : unlock the "local area connection' of windows xp

hi,

I have a cable connection at home. Before I install wireless router, I am testing each connection to my desk top and notebook computers with wired connection through ethernet line.
My cable connection is working with my desktop computer with windows 2000 pro.
When I tried to connect with my notebook computer(windows xp pro running), the connection to internet was not established although local area connection is working.

I noticed that there's little lock icon over my local area connection icon. I think my local area connection is locked. How can I unlock so that it can automatically detect the IP address and get connected to internet?

Thanks

Answer : unlock the "local area connection' of windows xp

The lock means that your firewall is turned on. To turn off the firewall, go to control panel > network connections. Right click on the adapter with the lock and go to properties. Click on the advanced tab and uncheck the box that says "Protect my computer..." That will remove the box.

It doesn't sound like this is your problem though. Some cable companies keep the mac address of your computer in their database so if you try to use another computer it wont work unless you call them and tell them you got a new one. Most routers have an option of Mac Address Cloning just for this purpose. This might be your problem, so you might want to call your cable company and ask them if they do this.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us