Question : Setting Office (Excel) workgroup templates location

Background:
For  a variety of complex reasons we have a numbr of users that have Office 2007 installed but still need Excel 2003 too. We have this working fine as long as they manually start Excel 2003 before the other applications that need it they find 2003 instead of 2007 and it all proceeds correctly. However...

For those with Office 2007 installed we use the File locations editing in Word to point to a central template folder. However that does not work for the parallel Excel 2003 installation and we do nt want to install Word 2003 just to setup this link. This setting is obviously stored omewhere, I assume in the registry but I cannot find it.

So, for those few users who have both Office 2007 and Excel 2003...where do I go to change the path to the workgroup templates for office 2003? The number of users involved is such that I can happily go do each machine manually...I just need to figure out where the path is stored!!

Thanks in advance.

Answer : Setting Office (Excel) workgroup templates location

Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't see anything under local machine that might do it. You did inspire me to continue my searching from before though since you also suggested the registry. I finally found it under the users profile by comparing it to the Office12 keys that I have already in place:

Start from either \HKEY_USERS\\...   or \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...
I guess the path could also be forced into the default user profile but I don't need that as there are only a few specific users that need it so I haven't tried that.

...\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\General

You need to create a new expandable string key called SharedTemplates and give it the path to the templates folder as a value. Substitute 12.0 for Office 2007 obviously.

I'd been looking in Word and Excel...it was the switch to Common that finally revealed all!! :-)

Regards

Alistair
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us