Question : Windows Server 2008 R2 Kms Activation issue

Hi.

I'm not sure this is the right place to put this topic, but i try.

I have an enviroment, were i'm going to upgrade from server 2003 to Server 2008 R2. Because of this, i want to set up a kms host, so both my Server 2008 R2 and my future Windows 7 clients can activate in this.

I have succesfully installed the KMS key on my Server 2008 R2, but when i install a new server 2008 R2, it don't activate. I know i need at least 5 servers to begin activate, but on my KMS host, it don't even make a count. I'm sure the default KMS port is pen(1688) because i can telnet through it from client to host.
I also know that my KMS is working, because i get the right error message when trying to activate manually(because of not enough counts)
So my problem is, that my KMS host don't make a count, when a new server is installed.
My KMS host makes the right DNS SRV record on the right port, but then i experiences that i suddently have multipel DNS SRV records in my dns. All the servers i install after, are making there own SRV record. Which i understand, is not the meaning. Only the KMS host should make this Record, right??

Am i right, that because of this, my KMS host don't make the right counts?
And what can i do to fix this issue.

Hope somebody can help me.

/Lasse Gloy  

Answer : Windows Server 2008 R2 Kms Activation issue

Only the KMS host should make the _VLMCS record in DNS.  Unless you're using the same key you used on the host on the other machines, which is a big no-no because once you use that key all the clients are now host (which would be why they show in DNS).  Make sure you're using slmgr -ato to activate the clients or using VAMT 1.2 tool or the KMS Client Setup Keys (slmgr -ipk [not KMS host key].

I wouldn't worry so much about the counts.  KMS host will stop counting after 50 anyways.  More importantly is check to see how many requests are coming through to see if machines are hitting it.  All the machines should fail until you reach the threshold, and the first one post-threshold will activate and then the others should activate as well (the pre-threshold machines).

It seems the most common problem with KMS (searching through here and from making the mistake in my own experience) is the confusion on how the product keys work  (i.e. KMS A/B/C Channel key is supposed to be used only once).

Also, as far as DNS..  If you did use the host key on multiple machines you will need to clean up the DNS and convert the client machines back to a dummy/client set up key.  You will need to delete all the _VLMCS records except for your actual host.  If you do not,  auto discovery via DNS will not work, you will have to manually point your clients to the KMS host (slmgr -skms [servername or IP] and then slmgr -ato to activate).  

Hope this helps!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us