Question : How to use Windows 2000 to amplify microphone input, and output to speaker?

Using sound recorder, I'm able to record from a microphone, and playback via the speakers.  But I want the PC (Windows 2000) to be a simple amplifier -- like a public address system.  No recording -- just whatever comes in via the microphone is amplified and output to the speakers (or headphones).

Is there a way?

Answer : How to use Windows 2000 to amplify microphone input, and output to speaker?

You can do that with the mixer settings.

Get connected up and double click the speaker icon in the tray,  this will bring up the mixer.  If your speaker isn't shown, then go to Start - Programs - Accessories - Entertainment - Volume control.

Make sure the "Mute" checkboxes are unchecked on Main Volume, Wave/Directsound and Microphone.  Make sure all the volumes are up a bit.

Then go to Options - Properties and click the "Recording" radio button, click ok.  The mixer should then change to the input settings.  Find the Microphone slider, Make sure the "Select" checkbox is checked and the volume is up a bit.  You should now be able to speak in the mic and it will be amplified into your speakers or headphones.

Another personal response by
NoirLuna.
(Copy/Paste has been disabled on my computer)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us