Question : In MS Access 2003 - how do I import scanned images easily into record?

I have created an Access 2003 Database with an OLE Object that I can store BMPs into.  I would like to find a small scanner and software that I can easily link with coding through Access 2003.  For instance, I would like to be able to be in an Access form - double click on the empty image field which will launch the scanner software, and then have easy-to-use scanning software that I can scan a section of a document and save that section as a bmp into the open record in Access.

Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?  I do not need any OCR capabilities, and would like this to be as user friendly as possible.  I figure there has to be a way, but I am not finding the solution I am looking for.

Answer : In MS Access 2003 - how do I import scanned images easily into record?

I strongly recommend you do not use OLE for this!!!

Here are two sample databases for storing images.  

This one links to images stored outside of the database which is preferred to the second method because Access is not good at storing images within it:
www.thenelson.name/#LinkedImageDemo

This one stores the images within Access as OLE objects.  
www.thenelson.name/#ImbededImageDemo
It is ok to do this for very small images such as icons but will rapidly bloat the database to unusable size if used for larger images.  Here is a link of someone who was trying to fix a database that has bloated with Word and Excel OLE objects: www.experts-exchange.com/Q_21538911.html.

Here are references for storing images within Access as Blobs. Does not create bloat.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_large_object  General discussion about Blobs
www.lebans.com/loadsavejpeg.htm  Free code to use blobs in Access
www.ammara.com/  Excellent addin to support image blobs Costs $100-300

And here is an article about the comparable merits of the three different image storage methods.
www.jamiessoftware.tk/articles/handlingimages.html
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us