Question : Using msoControlEdit to enter search parameter?

Hi,

I am using CommandBar coding to create shortcut menus for my forms.  I'm no expert but I've done pretty well so far.

I would like to be able to add a Text Control (msoControlEdit) to my Shortcut Menu where I can enter a name (e.g., "Michael") that i want to search for; after I enter the text and click the enter key, I want Access to go to a field on my form and look for the text "Michael" using docmd.findrecord and referencing the text I've entered in my shortcut text box.

I guess all I need to know is how do I reference the input text in my function I'll use to find the text?  I will then use that function as my .OnAction.

I hope that makes sense.  Easy question, just don't know how to reference the parameter I've entered on the menu.

Bill

Answer : Using msoControlEdit to enter search parameter?

You can set the OnAction of your commadbar control to be a custom Function you've defined in a Standard Module, and use that function to refer back to the edit box. For example, in my db I've created a MenuBar named "ScottsBar", and on that is a Combo (aka a "CommandBarPopup") named "MyMenu". MyMenu has an Edit control named "Textbox1". I've set the OnAction property of Textbox1 to this:

=fncSearch()

Note that you MUST use this syntax, including the equals sign and parentheses. You could, of course, alter the code below to do something more than popup a messagebox; in your case, I'm assuming you know how to initaiate your search features and such.

'/   Add this code to a Standard Module; you'll of course need to change the names of the MenuBar and controls to match your own
Public Function fncSearch()

Dim pop As Office.CommandBarPopup
Dim ctlEdit As Office.CommandBarControl

Set pop = Application.CommandBars("ScottsBar").Controls("MyMenu")
Set ctlEdit = pop.Controls("Textbox1")

MsgBox pop.Controls("Textbox1").Text

Set cltedit = Nothing
Set pop = Nothing

End Function
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us