Question : Two Terminal Services (win 2003 server) questions.

I am running Windows 2003 Server with Terminal Services.

When I have a term services user log in, how can I join and interact with his session.  I know I can do it with a 3rd computer, if I log into term services also, but I want to do it with the local console.  It doesn't seem to want to let me.

When I am looking at a user (in term serv monitor), I can right click on someone's session and I see 3 options.  Diconnect, Loggoff, and Reset.   What is the difference between these.  Which should I do if the user is having problems logging in?

Thanks!

Answer : Two Terminal Services (win 2003 server) questions.

#2)   when you use the Terminal Services Manager :- DISCONNECT means that you forcibly as an administrator disconnect  the user however his programs or the programs he had started continue to run in the background,this can be usefull at times,, . If you log the user off all the programs he had up and running will be shut down, this can lead to data loss depending on what was running of course. If you reset a user the result is you have logged him or her off forcibly once again at risk of data loss.. .. If another user is having problems logging in due to too many clients, or exceeding the number of client connections, some one has to log off. or basically you have to disconnect someone so that another may begin a session.

Another way of realising what is going on is , if the user remains on the manager screen he is still logged on, whether or not he is disconnected. you can also see what sessions and programs the user is running from that console.

#1 )    I have come across this also, however the error message you get when attempting to connect to another session from the Administrator console has the answer, "error 7041" "disconnecting the console session is not supported" , It wont let you ,, your logged on locally , therefore you cannot interact with another terminal session, however there  is a way if you really want to, when your logged on the local admin console, open up remote desktop, log on to the local console via terminal services again, then from that screen you can connect to someone else's session.. In reality you will be logged on twice  , once as local console connection and one as remote desktop connection,  you will see this on the terminal services manager screen your user name will appear twice..( local console and RDP-Tcp )
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us