Question : "The Active Directory Services Installaion Wizard is not supported on this SKU"

I am running Windows Storage Server 2008 and was attempting to promote the machine to a DC on our network and came up with the following error at the command line:

"The Active Directory Services Installaion Wizard is not supported on this SKU"
I was able to get the wizard in Windowes to install AD DS but now i need to make the server a DC.

How does DNS fit into this? I have 2 DNS servers on the network, so I assume that I'm OK.

What am i missing?

Thanks,
JPertchik

Answer : "The Active Directory Services Installaion Wizard is not supported on this SKU"

Ok, yeah it is because you are using storage server, that can't become a domain controller.  (not supported)

...same thing applies to 2008 but this FAQ is for 2003 R2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/wss2003/productinformation/FAQ/default.mspx

A dedicated file and print server is a server built on Windows Server 2003 as a fixed function device. All of the functionality unrelated to file serving has been removed, increasing reliability and lowering the overhead on the machine CPU.

Do you have another Windows 2008 server (that is not storage server)  If you do that can be promoted.

Thanks

Mike

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us