Question : Problem with References and MDE files

I'm hoping someone can give me some basic lessons in understanding the relationship between References and MDE files.  

Here's my problem - my database front end is an MDB file that has about 10 different references in the code section.  Some of the references are to files that are in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\...", others are to files in a virtual path such as "Z:\General\Misc\...", and still others are to a UNC path like "\\SERVER\Main\...".    When I create an MDE file from this MDB on my WINXP machine, it is distributed to my various users (also WINXP machines) who use it without any problems.  Today I added another user that is a Windows 2000 machine, and unfortunately it's not working properly.  

The MDE runs on the new machine to a point, but then I get an error message saying:

"Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) encountered a problem while attempting to access a property or method. The problem may be one of the following:
A reference is missing.
For help restoring missing references, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 283806.
An Expression is misspelled. . . ."

I'm sure this issue must be a problem with the references, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it.  How do I know if the correct references have been made on the new Windows 2000 machine, using only the MDE file?  I can't.  I could create a new, blank database on the new machine, and then establish all the references, but would those references apply to the MDE file?

Is it necessary that the paths to each of the references be the exact same on the client machines as on the machine where the MDB is created?

When I create the MDE on an XP machine and use it on the Win2000 machine, it does not work.
When I create the MDE on the Win2000 machine and use it on that same machine, it does work.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Answer : Problem with References and MDE files

Seems like you have given the answer yourselfes:

> When I create the MDE on an XP machine and use it on the Win2000 machine, it does not work.
> When I create the MDE on the Win2000 machine and use it on that same machine, it does work.

> Is it necessary that the paths to each of the references be the exact same on the client machines as on the machine where the MDB is created?

No. Access is pretty good haunting the actual location of the references if these are placed in the windows or system folder - and use these even if they are of a newer version.
However, what Access is _not_ very good at - it denies in fact - is to use a reference of a lower version than specified. That is properly what happens when you create the MDE on the XP machine.

/gustav

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us