Question : cannot install hp oem sbs2008 on hp server running esxi 4.0 Update 1

We purchased a hp ml350 g6 server, and also the SBS2008 Standard licences and media from HP (Reseller Option Kit). We successfully installed HP's version of vmware Esxi 4.0 on the server. Now when we try to install SBS2008 using HP's OS install DVD from the vSphere Client, the install comes back with this error : "This system is not supported platform".

Some research seems to indicate an issue where the OEM install does not detect the server as being a HP (since it is Vmware) and will refuse to install.  Others indicate to modify the .vmx file to add SMBIOS.reflecHost="TRUE". Tried that without success. I've contacted HP and they finally told me that I cannot use a HP OEM install disk with Vmware (HP customer advisory ID c01772206 (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01772206)

Anyone know of a way around or fix for this issue, or do I really have to return the install DVD and get a replacement ? I'm kind of running out of time and was hoping not to have to wait for a refund/replacement.

Answer : cannot install hp oem sbs2008 on hp server running esxi 4.0 Update 1

There's no reason sbs 2008 should not work on vmware.  So, I suspect your media is causing the problem.  This is probably  problem because the HP DVD has both HP stuff and the windows 2008 sbs stuff on the DVD.  If you can view the DVD and see the OEM Windows stuff, copy it to a directory and create a new ISO with just the windows stuff...and try to boot.  (Just a thought)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us