Question : Dell Vostro 220 suddently running at CPU Usage 100%

My Dell Vostro 220 had a sharp decrease in performance yesterday with apps taking a long time to open.

I deleted any unnecessary apps from the system incl. Windows Desktop Search, updated my Malbytes anti-malware and ran both quick and full scans on all drives, both came back clear.

I did notice a new app called MFC security on the desktop but I was able to clear this without any issue prior to the malware scans.

The PC boots up a lot quicker but apps still take way too long to open (Open Office c. 5mins), task manager constantly states that CPU usage is running at 100% made up of two elements, one being CLI.exe and the other DSCA.exe.

I tried ended the process CLI.exe which enabled me to open Dell Support Centre that I couldn't before but IE7 doesn't work at all.

I don't want to perform a factory restore if I can help it so just wondered if anybody is able to assist with this sudden performance issue.  I don't think it is related to old drivers etc. as the computer has been working fine up till yesterday and I haven't done anything material, I don't know if there is some malware at work that isn't being picked up yet.

Answer : Dell Vostro 220 suddently running at CPU Usage 100%

Hi

Have to agree with aboo s.
Start your pc from the xp cd - Press R at the first screen for Recovery Console.
Type chkdsk /r/f
This will do complete disk check and fix any errors.

You could also run a memory test  : http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Regards
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us