Question : What is the right way to clone a Windows Server 2003 server, using imaging software?

What is the right way to clone a Windows Server 2003 server, using imaging software?

I have three Windows Server 2003 servers - Server1, Server2 and Server3 on the same private network.  Server1 and Server2 have identical hardware.  So I just purchased (Acronis True Image Server) server-cloning software so I could create an image of the C: drive from one machine and restore it onto another.

I made sure that replication was working properly on all three servers using replmon.

Then I created an image of the C: drive on Server1 and restored it on Server2, using Acronis True Image.  Knowing that the former Server2 would now appear with the name Server1, I disconnected the "real" Server1 from the network when I booted the "newly-minted Server1".  My plan was to change the static IP address on this newly-cloned machine to be what Server2 used to be, then change its name to Server2, and reboot it, hoping that I would then have two identically configured servers, one named Server2 (clone of Server1) and then I'd bring the "real Server1" back online.

Meanwhile, Server3 is still online.  

But the error message I'm getting when I try to change the name of this newly-cloned machine to Server2 is, "The following error occurred when attempting to rename the computer to Server2:  The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

I can ping the Server3 machine, so I know it's there.  Any suggestions as to how this is supposed to be done?

Answer : What is the right way to clone a Windows Server 2003 server, using imaging software?

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/2003_Server/Q_22536346.html?sfQueryTermInfo=1+2003+server+sysprep
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us