Question : SCCM Site Design - What sort of DP should I use?

Hi All,

I'm after some guidance on SCCM site design. In particular what sort of DP (or perhaps even a secondary site) to use in remote sites to allow throttling between the remote site DP's and the site server/DP in head office. With our current SMS environment we have to push large packages to our remote sites after hours so to not effect usual WAN traffic. We really don't want to have to do this when we move to SCCM.

A break up of remote site client numbers and WAN speeds is below.
Site -> Clients -> WAN Connection
MEL1 - 2200 - 12mbps (Head office - All SCCM Admin done from here)
SYD1 - 160 - 4mbps
SYD2 - 360 - 6mbps
SYD3 - 250 - 10mbps
BRI1 - 30 - 2mbps
BRI2 - 150 - 8mbps
ADL1 - 30 - 2mbps
PER1 - 40 - 2mbps
PER2 - 45 - 4mbps
OS1 - 80 - 2mbps
OS2 - 250 - 2mbps
OS3 - 20 - 512kbps

Answer : SCCM Site Design - What sort of DP should I use?

For the sites with lower number of clients (e.g. < 50) you could use Branch Distribution Points, and configure BITS throttling for Branch DPs through the SCCM client properties.  We've succesfully tested Branch DPs in sites with 80 users with no problems.  For all other sites, I would use Secondary Sites, as the Senders give you complete control of the use of bandwidth.  The important thing to remember about throttling with LAN Senders in SCCM is that the %Bandwidth usage is dynamic, which means that if you specify a maximum of 50% of available bandwidth, then SCCM will continually attempt to estimate traffic on the link and adjust the distribution to match 50% of what it percieves to be the available bandwidth .. it's really quite good at doing it.

With Branch DP's and BITS, you can only have two throttling windows ... off peak and on peak, and a set maximum throughput for each of those throttling windows.  If this isn't acceptable then you would need to use Secondary Sites for those smaller sites aswell.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us