Question : Can't mount Exchange Information Store

Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1
Exchange Server 2003 (bundled into SBS 2003)

I can't mount the information store on my Exchange server.  Every attempt shows the following error:

"An internal processing error has occurred.  Try restarting the Exchange System Maneger or the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, or both....  ID no: c1041724"

Restarting System Manager or the IS service doesn't help.  I checked the logs and found the following error:

Type: Error
Source: MSExchangeIS
Category: General
Event ID: 9518

Description: "Error 0xfffffdee starting Storage Group /DC=local/DC=RTI/CN=Configuration/CN=Services/CN=Microsoft Exchange/CN=RTI/CN=Administrative Groups/CN=first administrative group/CN=Servers/CN=RTI01/CN=InformationStore/CN=First Storage Gruop on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
Storage Group - Initialization of Jet failed."

I click the link and head to the Help Center which tells me, in essence, to check the log for previous errors.

Further down the log, I find:

Source: ESE
Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 454
Description: "Information Store (2692) First Storage Group: Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -530."

Clicking the link here to check the Help Center page simply sends me to a list of error codes for the Extensible Storage Engine 98.  Code -530 is: JET_errBadLogSignature -- Bad signature for a log file.

I head back to the Event Viewer to see if another error might send me somewhere more helpful.  The next previous event gives me:

Source: ESE
Category: Logging/Recovery
Description: "Information Store (2692) First Storage Group: Unable to read the header of logfile (Path-to-mdbdata)\E00005BD.log.  Error -530."

Clicking this link to the Help Center brings up:

Explanation:

Unable to read the header of the log file named in the Event ID 412 message.  This may be due to a mismatching log signature, a corrupt log file, or a corrupt log header.

The cause depends on the Jet (ESE) Error code in the description section of the event.  The most common causes are listed below.

Error -530 = JET_errBadLogSignature= Bad signature for a log file.  A signature for log files is used only to ensure that we are replaying the "right" set of log files.  For example, if Log 45 from another storage group ended up in the set of log files of another storage group, then ESE will detect a signature mismatch and not replay this log file.  A portion of each database header includes the signature of the current log file generation; if they do not match, then we error out indicating a mismatch.

User Action:

-Restore from online backup.
-If there is no valid backup, repair the database by running the eseutil /p command, and then run the isinteg -fix commang on the affected store repeatedly until you receive 0 fixes or the same result for fixes twice.  CAUTION: After you repair the database by using the eseutil /p switch and isinteg -fix, the database may not be stable and reliable.  Because the repair process deletes database pages, data loss is likely.  NOTE: If you have to run a hard repair on your production database, Microsoft recommends that you move the data out of the repaired database to a new database or rebuild the database using Move Mailbox or ExMerge.

Because I've been having a real headache with backups lately, I don't have a good one until some three weeks back.  I'm no Exchange guru, so what I'm reading in this User Action section sounds a bit daunting.  I know how to run those two repair utilities, but I'm confused on what safeguards to take.  Is it safe just to have all users (there are only 12) move all of their messages/contacts/tasks/events, etc. into a .pst file for safe keeping in case something is lost on the server?

What does "moving the data out of the repaired database to a new database" mean?  We can only create one storage group on SBS, so I'm assuming this isn't even an option for me.  Is this a safeguard for BEFORE the repair, or AFTER?

Lastly, what are the benefits of using Move Mailbox or ExMerge during this process?  When should these steps be taken?  What do they accomplish?  And, how to I do them?  Further, are these utilities available on the small-potatoes version of Exchange bundled with SBS 2003?

I would appreciate any guidance I can get ASAP.  We're dead in the water right now and I can only tread so long!  Thank you!

Answer : Can't mount Exchange Information Store

"the small-potatoes version of Exchange bundled with SBS 2003?"
It's the complete Standard Edition of Exchange, nothing less.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us