Question : EXCHANGE 2000 to 2007 Last server removed issue with name resolution

Hello All,

We previously had an Exchange 2000 environment. All of our users, mailbox stores, connectors, OAB, public folders etc... have been running on Exchange 2007 for the better part of 2 years. It was decided to finally Decom the last Exchange 2000 server. I followed Microsoft technet document to this end, we did not delete the old Administrative group however I did run ADModify to change everyone's "LegacyExchangeDN" attribute to the correct Exchange 2007 DN as it was right in the instructions and essentially said if you do not do this you might have problems....

Well.... we did it and it created problems. We had started recreating user's exchange connections to fix Outlook Mapi issues. We've already initiated companywide updates of the address book and remedied BES issues.

The problem now is regarding past e-mail. Withing Outlook/OWA when replying to these past messages it fails to find the user/address and delivers an NDR. Seemingly to me the reason is that it is referencing the old Administrative group dn somewhere in the past mail headers so replies fail. New e-mail to all users does work.

My question is ---- is it possible to:

1. Update all users past mail items to reference the correct addressbook/e-mail/mapi/etc either from Exchange Powershell or on the client side Outlook (2003 primarily)

2. If we cannot fix references on mail items themselves is it possible to create pointers in Exchange for these old LegacyExchangeDN's to their new equivelant (i have a list of both).... or even have "two" DN entries to solve the issue.

I'm between a rock and a hard place -- it is too late to simply roll back everyone's DN, and it is my feeling that going forward it would be best not to even have the reference.

Please help !!

Answer : EXCHANGE 2000 to 2007 Last server removed issue with name resolution

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us