I just bought a new M.B. its a A15TV with award bios
It's a P 120 chip
Bios is set to defaults,
1.6 Fugitsu HDD  - primary Master
4 tray 4x CD-ROM - primary Slave
PCI 4 mb S3 expert color
2 serial and 1 paralell connected
16 mb ram 60ns
After Installing Win95, and before first boot, it crashes with General P.F. starting at 0028
after a few changes in CMOS, i was able to boot, installed the S3 video drivers and for a while it would work, then i would get the G.P. again, and always at the same 0028, but it is different files each time,
So i format and try a different version of Win.  Same problem,
Then i Remove the Video and put in a trident 1mb ISA
Things work fine most of the time now, but sometimes i get the same kind of errors, except this time it's windows apps.
like user.exe and GDI.exe at 0014 and 0137.
The errors don't seem to be so bad now, i can at least continue normally but sometimes not.  Another thing is that when i shut down or restart, it just hangs on the shutdown logo.

This is my first Plug and Play bios machine.
I know the S3 is hooped, because i got bad video with it, like screwed up colors on certain windows and some taces of colors left behind on the desktop. I am beginning to think it might also be my ram, but these errors are pretty knew to me, and there doesnt seem to be much help on them. I am looking for some opinions and hopefully answers, I would suggest people not answering this question, but commenting only, because i know there is probably more than one possibility to what the problem is, and i will give the points to the comment that best helps me solve the problem.

Answer : protection faults

The S3 video card will not preform on generic drivers or old drivers.  You need to go to the specific card maufacturer and get the latest drivers from them.

This is only the tip of your problem.  You have a bad CPU or a bad motherboard whee the Zif socket is connected to the motherboard.

Like the commericial says ... been there and done that.  The S3 card is a very good card with the proper board and drivers it is bad.  Also not all S3 card are created equal.  Like most anything else, the quality control from mfg. to mfg. varies greatly
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us