Question : Column 'xxx' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause

Hi Experts,

this is a simple beginner's mistake, but I just don't figure out how to solve it with my MSSQL 2008 database...

I have a table with the following structure (abbreviated, just the relevant fields shown):
[PersonGUID] [uniqueidentifier]
[Name] [varchar]
[Firstname] [varchar]
[City] [varchar]
[Notes] [text]

I would now like to SELECT all fields of all records where the combination of Name + ' ' + Firstname occurs more than once (to present a list of potential duplicates; only Name and Firstname are relevant, PersonGUID _is_ always different, City and Notes could be different, but all fields need to be included in the SELECT output). I have tried this statement

SELECT *
  FROM Persons
  GROUP BY Name, Firstname
  HAVING COUNT(Name + ' ' + Firstname)>1
  ORDER BY Name, Firstname;

but that produces the above error message, that PersonGUID is not part of an aggregate function or the GROUP-BY clause. It works somewhat if I only SELECT Name, Firstname, but I need the other fields, too.

I could, of course, add all fields to the GROUP-By clause, but that would then dramatically change the output of my list, as at least PersonGUID is different for each record.

How would you solve this?

Thanks a lot for your advice,
Thomas

Answer : Column 'xxx' is invalid in the select list because it is not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause

Try this:

SELECT *
FROM (
SELECT *, count(*) OVER ( PARTITION BY Name, Firstname) cnt
FROM Persons ) temp
WHERE cnt > 1
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us