Question : Ordinary users unable to login after server crash

My server crashed due to SQL writing a lot of trace files, which filled the server disk, and caused the server to crash.
So my first question is: How do I disable creation of Trace files - as I don't need them

After the server came back up (and another reboot thereafter) users are unable to login to SQL Server. They are valid Active Directory users, are able to login to the domain and even access a share on my database server, however SQL server denies their connection.
Admins however do not have a problem using the server.

I assume the unexpected crash had something to do with this, as the users were still able to login this morning, before the crash. I have removed and recreated their logins to the server and the relevant database.

How can I diagnose the cause of this issue and fix my problem?

Answer : Ordinary users unable to login after server crash

After spending significant time trawling the internet, I found the following URL, which referred a lot to the usage of setspn.exe:
http://sqlforums.windowsitpro.com/web/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=60&threadid=84680&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sspi

setspn itself did not help with my problem, however a nugget from Xinwei Hong, SQL Server Protocols described my problem exactly.

So, I changed the service accounts for SQL Server and SQL Agent to a domain account, restarted the service, changed it back to LocalSystem, and rebooted the server for good measure.

Problem solved - it was an old SPN token, that did not get reset due to a server crash, thus denying valid users access.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us