Question : Windows 7 Software Restriction Policy not working.

Hi Folks,

On a new installation of Windows 7 Ultimate, I am having trouble setting a policy under gpedit.msc-->Computer Config-->Windows Settings-->Security Settings-->Software Restriction-->Additional Rules.   I'm trying to disallow internet for all users regardless of their security rights.  Yes, in the Enforcement Properties dialog, I have "All Users" checked--not "All users except local administrators".  I have no other policies defined other than the default policies.  The issue is that even after doing a gpupdate (or rebooting), the policy is not enforced, and I can still access the internet.

Please see this screenshot:

http://pics.trulycaptured.com/photos/735906121_J2Zcq-X3.jpg

Answer : Windows 7 Software Restriction Policy not working.

NO - read the bit I copied frm the MS site, thats NOT what its for. All it does is stop the execution of programs from the zone over the internet

You can use Internet Zone rules to apply software restriction policy rules based on the Microsoft Internet Explorer security zone in which the program is run. Currently, these rules apply only to Microsoft Windows Installer packages that are run from the zone. Internet Zone rules do not apply to programs that are downloaded by Internet Explorer.

It does not stop you accessing the site - just running programs FROM the site on your machine.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us