Question : I can not find the record I added to table via search via query

Attached is sample DB with problem

The members table has the record I add.  It is nnnn in the last name.

I can search for any other record by putting in the 1st letter and it will find all records that start with the letter in the last name.

The inputform is the form where I added the record because it was not in the table.

What am I doing to prevent finding the last name of nnnn?

I hope I have given you enough information.

Thanks,
Don

Answer : I can not find the record I added to table via search via query

InputForm2 uses method # 1 below. It took we about 60 seconds to add it.

I would use a combobox or listbox that lists all the possible choices in the table. Easier for the user as he only needs to type a portion of the name to select a name and there is less risk for having to deal with misspellings. You can use a textbox - just use the textbox name instead of the List/ComboBoxName.  You can use a textbox and a command button - just put the code of in the command button click event. If you want to jump to a record or filter the form when you open the form, just put the code in the form load event (also see: www.thenelson.name/#ReportFormTricks, "Open Last Record").  If you are using a combobox or listbox, method #1 is the easiest.

Four easy ways to jump to a record in a combobox or listbox but still be able to scroll through all the other records:

1) The combo box and list box wizard will do this for you automatically. In the first or second step (depending on you version of Access), choose the third option: "Find a record on my form based on the value selected in my combo box" This must be done on a BOUND form.  

2) Have the record ID number as one of the fields in the list/combo box and in the form (they can both be hidden).  The bound column of the list/combo box is the record ID field.  Then the On After Update Event of the list/combo box would look like:

Private Sub List/ComboBoxName_AfterUpdate()       'Use the name of your list/combo box
txtRecordID.SetFocus       'Use the name of your text box
DoCmd.FindRecord List/ComboBoxName       'Use the name of your list/combo box
End Sub

3) Again, the bound column of the list/combo box is the record ID field.

Private Sub List/ComboBoxName_AfterUpdate()       'Use the name of your list/combo box
Me.RecordSet.FindFirst "txtRecordID = " & List/ComboBoxName       'Use the name of your list/combo box and text box
End Sub

4)  Again, the bound column of the list/combo box is the record ID field.

DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, Me.Name, acGoTo, List/ComboBoxName       'Use the name of your list/combo box and text box
End Sub

Two easy ways to filter the records to show only the record selected:

5) With the bound column of the list/combo box is the record ID field.

Me.Filter = "txtRecordID = " & List/ComboBoxName       'Use the name of your list/combo box and text box
Me.FilterOn = True
End Sub

6) Again, the bound column of the list/combo box is the record ID field.

In the query that is the record source for the form, create a criteria like this:
[Forms].[YourFormName].[ComboBoxName]       'Use the name of your list/combo box and form name

Additional information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q209537
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-03.html
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/download3.asp?SampleName=ComboChoosesRecord.mdb
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us