Question : XP Machine takes long time (3 mins) to logon

We have a MS SBS 2000 server domain and several XP Pro workstations (SP3).
One of the laptops has a specific problem that it takes around 3 mins to logon once the user has entered his password at login screen.
I have tried a lot of things, mainly suspecting it being a DNS issue as this is the common problem.
Everything IP address wise is set correctly, I have also done the following:
-Defragged drive and Chkdsk.
-Checked Event log for failing services
-Run MS Bootvis to optimize startup
-Clear temp files
-Reinstall updated Network card drivers

There are no errors in the event log, and i'm unable to find what service / program causes it to hang.
Once into the desktop the machine is fine, no problems at all, just agonisingly slow to log in!
One thing I did notice is if I remove the LAN cable and enable WIFI, the login seems a lot quicker.

Any help would be very...helpful!

Chris

Answer : XP Machine takes long time (3 mins) to logon

Followup! I have managed to solve the problem myself...

The issue lay with the "Web Client" service, which while slowly going through each service and stopping them to eliminate the problem, I happened to come across. The service status was "Stopping", and this puzzled me.
When looking into it more, there seems a lot of people with similar problems related to the WebClient service in Windows.
One recommendation I found was to Disable this altogether as per Microsoft article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832161

This did not solve the problem, still slow logon timing out.
So what I did was to Uninstall the "Client for Microsoft Networks" and the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" from the Network Connections. Then I uninstalled all network adapters using Device Manager in Safe Mode.
Once restarted, the system reinstalled the network cards and I manually reinstalled both the above network services.

Lo and behold on startup, no more hanging and much quicker logon. Also noted that the Web Client service was now shown as "Started"!

Thanks for all the help.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us