Question : Windows Server 2003 SP2 can't see 5.4 terabyte array

I assembled 2 servers using Windows 2003 R2 Standard SP2, SuperMicro X7DCLi, Adaptec 5405 Sas/Sata raid controller and 4-1 terabyte WD drives, in raid 5 config of 2.7Terabytes and could read and write to the array with no problem.
But now the array is not large enough due to client expansion, so I checked with Supermicro/Adaptec and decided to up the array to 5.4 terabyte using WD 2 Terabyte FYPSSP drives, which Adaptec said would now funciton properly with latest firmware.  
So I load the drives/firmware, delete old array and configure new array at 5.4 Terabyte.  The array comes up in post, but you can't see it in Win Server 2003.  Storage/disk managment shows bootable IDE drive and CD drive only.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it. I have sent e-mail to Adaptec and have looked for patches for OS, but as yet don't have an anser.  Great way to spend a weekend!!

Answer : Windows Server 2003 SP2 can't see 5.4 terabyte array

Yes, I am saying that this is a hard limit.  Read the link I gave earlier.   I am not aware of anything that can move the data over as you now have an invalid NTFS configuration.  The only thing that *may* work (unless you want to write a program) is to programmatically try to fool the controller into presenting the array with the original size.  

It is not a matter of fixing the NTFS file system or repairing it.  The file system is invalid.  You will have to either programmatically fix it by getting the RAID controller to effectively lie about how many blocks are in the LUN, or to do a block-level copy of the 2.7TB onto a 2.7TB LUN, and stop it at exactly the right place, or you will end up back to where you started from.

SANtools software can drill into many RAID controllers and directly reconfigure them to settings that are supported, but not visible or configurable through the manufacturers diagnostics.   If it works, then your 2.7TB lun will appear as a 2.7TB LUN then you can boot to it, then run whatever backup software you want, and/or create other LUNs as necessary to meet the size constraints.  If it was me, I would make c:\ much, much smaller then create GPT disks with larger allocation sizes if you were a heavy user of large block I/O.   If you do not use large block I/O, then create smaller LUNs., but read the link to understand.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us